Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Learning to Learn

Matthew 18:2-4
He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

My daughter came out with her jacket and asked if she could try it on...  "Let me do it, Momma." she said, as I tried to zip up the zipper for her.

"Nah," I thought, "let's just get this done."

"Wait," said the Lord, "Listen.  She wants to learn."

For a child, every action, happenstance, every thing, is an opportunity to learn.

Let me do it.  Show me how.

When did I become such a grown up?  So busy with 'responsibilities'.  You know, the world says that it's when we think we know how to do everything already and we just have to get the thing done, that we are 'mature'.

But that's not what Jesus is saying here.  We, as children of the kingdom of heaven, get to learn how to learn again.  It's a whole new way of life.  And there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  Try, try again.  Be ready to listen, watch and learn.  How am I to do this?  What is God's trying to teach me?  How do I apply His Word here in my life.  How does this zipper go again??  Now, let me try it.  Let me see myself as a little child, Lord.  Yours.  There is so much to learn from you.

I am so small God, and you are so big.  I know so little and yours is all wisdom.

Help me to be childlike; do not let my presumptuous heart deceive me.

Thank you for eyes to see myself clearly.

In Jesus,

Carmen Sunshine