Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Can you? or Would you?

Can you? or Would you?
These are two entirely different questions.

Sam often asks me,

"Mommy, can you make me some water?"

"Yes, of course I can Sam." I answer, " Would you like for me to?"

"Yes ma'am." She answers, nodding.

"Then," I say smiling, "you should ask like this:"

"Would you please give me some water, Momma?"

And then I hear my own Heavenly Father whispering those very words into my heart, too.

"You know I can. Ask me if I would, so that I can fulfill that request for you. If you only ask if I can, the answer will always be, "yes". But that's not really what you want to know, is it? Ask if I would, and the answer will always be given in love. "Yes" or "No" makes no difference. The answer is always love. Invite me in, my child, and see what I would do for you."

Such a simple difference. But is really is a matter of whether or not we invite Him, isn't it?

Lord, would You please watch over me and my family tonight. Please keep my husband safe and my children peaceful.

Thank You, Father.

It is my pleasure to give you thanks and praise. For as a parent of my own small children, I know just how wonderfully the gratitude of a little one warms a parent's heart.

Thank You.

Amen.

Mat 7:7

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Mat 7:8

For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

Mat 7:9

“Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?

Mat 7:10

Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?

Mat 7:11

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!