Monday, June 2, 2008

The Great I AM

Last week, I was feeling terribly overwhelmed. Focusing on my inability, I questioned, how can I do all of these things I am supposed to do everyday? All the things I expect to accomplish are too much! And then there are the things the Lord calls me to do! Keep the house clean, train up my children, be sweet and kind constantly, be a Godly mother and wife, on and on I could go, but that's not the point. The point is, that I was feeling overwhelmed.

Then through a little experience with my daughter, at the height of my self-pity, the Lord spoke to me ever so kindly. This was about four days ago and I am still digesting the wisdom and truth of His message and marveling over His gentleness.

How can I do this? How can I do that? Help me! Help me... my heart cried.

Then from across the house, "Momma! I need help!" Sama cries.

She's standing at the top of the ladder of a set of bunk beds. Yelling from the other room, she calls again, "Mamma, help me!"

"Here I come, Sam." I say.
"Help me, Momma. I need help." She says, more emphatically.

Truly, she's sulking a little. She's scared. Looking down at the ground from the top of the bed near the ceiling, she waves her little leg around as if it's too short. She know she can't do it by herself, or at least she doesn't want to try. Just like me, I realize in hindsight.

Sometimes I wish my children weren't so needy. Momma do this, momma do that. I need help here, I need help there. Help me, Momma!

But, really, isn't that the way we are supposed to approach life? Dependently on God. We do need help. We are to cry to Him from the other room, expecting Him to respond.

I've learned something else about God's methods of teaching. He's always there, beside me. Ready to help. But sometimes He's insistent that I take those steps of faith myself.

"OK, Sam. Turn around. Good girl. Now, reach one foot down. Lower, good girl. You made it. Now, move your hands down a little and reach down with the other foot to the next rung."

"I can't Momma. I can't. I need help!" She reaches our for me to rescue her.

"I AM helping you, Sama. Now keep going. You're doing good."

I hear these words, they are meant for me, too.

I continue to encourage her without removing her from the ladder, "That's right, reach your foot down until you feel the step. Now put your weight on it. It will hold you. Good girl. That's right, move your hands down a little further. Good. Now, reach down with your other foot. Yes, there's the step. Good girl! You only have one step more. You're doing good! There, move your hands, this last step is the biggest."

"I can't do it!" she cries, with one step left.

Undeterred, I say, "You're almost there, Sama. Reach, further, down a little more. Good Girl! "

"I made it Momma! I did it!" She exclaims smiling brightly, brushing a tear away with the back of her hand.

"Yes, you did, my darling girl. You did it." Her victory is also mine.

The Lord, He gently whispers to my own heart the very words I have just proudly and lovingly proclaimed, "Yes, you can do it, too, my darling girl. One step at a time. I AM right here. I AM helping you along your path."

You see, He is taller than any ladder that I have to descend, ready to reach out and catch me at any time. He will be with me just as I was with Sam. He sees every step. He knows how far the drop is and that I can depend on that next rung. He wouldn't have me do it if He knew I couldn't do it. AND, I would never learn to climb those ladders, or trust Him, if He rescued me from every difficult or trying situation.

Everyday is another rung. Another plausible experience that I cry out to the Lord for help with. And, with each day, I am learning and He is leading.

Thank You, Father God, for teaching me so beautifully and gently. You are so wise and I am so grateful. May I parent as You do.

Amen.

Gen 17:1 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, "I AM God Almighty; serve me faithfully and live a blameless life.

Gen 28:13 At the top of the stairway stood the LORD, and he said, "I AM the LORD, the God of your grandfather Abraham and the God of your father, Isaac. The ground you are lying on belongs to you. I will give it to you and your descendants.

Exd 3:7 Then the LORD told him, "You can be sure I have seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard their cries for deliverance from their harsh slave drivers. Yes, I AM aware of their suffering.

Exd 3:14 God replied, "I AM THE ONE WHO ALWAYS IS.* Just tell them, `I AM has sent me to you.' "

Exd 6:7 I will make you my own special people, and I will be your God. And you will know that I AM the LORD your God who has rescued you from your slavery in Egypt.

Exd 20:2 "I AM the LORD your God, who rescued you from slavery in Egypt.

Mal 3:6 "I AM the LORD, and I do not change. That is why you descendants of Jacob are not already completely destroyed.

Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I AM humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls.

Jhn 14:6 Jesus told him, "I AM the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

Rev 3:11 Look, I AM coming quickly. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown.

Rev 22:7 "Look, I AM coming soon! Blessed are those who obey the prophecy written in this scroll."