Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, How I wonder what you are...

Ephesians 1:17 - I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of revelation, so that you may know Him better.

Why did you say it Momma?
Because I want you to do it, honey.

I gave you what you have, please share it with your brother.

Dylan, Sam is asking you to come here because I asked her to. She is doing what I asked her to do. If you don't listen to my messenger, you aren't listening to me.

These are things I said to my children today. Things I heard the Lord speak to me, also. Words spoken with my own lips, given to me with an example - a picture of His wisdom and my lack of understanding. How gracious He is! What a little child I am. Lord, help me to parent as you do.

Today, I am a walking handkerchief. Jacob has a runny nose and is constantly running to me to wipe it on my pants, or my leg, or my shirt. Lord, help me to constantly run to you. And Father, help me to recognize all that you bore for me.

Baking Bread
Deuteronomy 8:3 - Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

Exodus 16:4 - He gave them bread from heaven to eat.

John 6:35 - Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."

Baking Bread - salt, water, flour, oil, and yeast. We are like little loaves of bread. We need to be sifted, kneaded, allowed to rise and then tested and punched back down. A little more flour, the dry Word, which solidifies us. A little more water, the wet Word, which refreshes and softens us. It's a balance, but no matter what stage of preparation we are in, we need Jesus and the presence of His Holy Spirit, the yeast of Praise to Him, which takes what is low and raises it up and multiplies all that we could ever be, all to be made into bread. To nourish us, and others. Lord, knead me today, add your flour and water. Let me have your salt within. Oil me with gladness and let this little loaf glorify You.


Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Daniel 12:3 - Those who impart wisdom will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever.

Philippians 2:14 -16 - Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you will shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the Word of Life - in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. (Now there's a prayer for mothers!)

Sam had me sing her to sleep before her nap time. First, Jesus Loves Me. But this time I sang it and realized I needed to hear it. Then, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, which is one I don't normally like to sing because I thought it wasn't about Jesus. But today, the Lord who gives wisdom generously, showed me that it is about Him, and I sang it to Sam as if she were the star:

Twinkle twinkle little star
How I wonder what you are
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky
Twinkle twinkle little star
How I wonder, what you are.
I love you, my Sam.

Thank you, Father, for making sweet praise to you and affirmation for me, flow from my very own lips for my ears to hear and embrace. Write these truths and lessons on my heart, Lord, that they may spring forth and bear good fruit for You.

Be Good Soil, Today
Dylan and I read the story of the sower and the seeds today. (Matthew 13:23) We also read the story of Jesus standing up in the synagogue to read the scripture and declaring that He fulfilled the prophecy that day. (Luke 4:14 - 30) We actually read that one twice, from two different books, unintentionally! I guess I need to hear this: We need to be ready, don't we? Scripture is true Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come. Today His scripture is fulfilled in my hearing. Today He stands in my heart and speaks His Word to me for my edification. Lord, give me ears to hear and eyes to see, You. From the story of the sower, I saw for the first time that good soil is that which has been tilled, any debris removed, all stones thrown out, all previous roots killed and gone. Also, nothing else has been sown there or allowed to grow. It is nothing but dirt, naked and laid bare, enriched because of what has been purged from it. It is ready to receive seeds, the Word of God, so that it can be nurtured, hidden and embraced, watered and shown to produce an abundant crop. Lord, make me good soil. Lay me bare before You.

And Sam, Dylan, Jacob, I pray you will indeed twinkle like stars up above the world so high - like a diamond in the sky. How I wonder what you are. What you will be. Though it is still a mystery to me what treasures lie hidden, what gifts are there, what talents and skills yet to be developed, I am filled with joy that I get to discover it with you. Lord, help me to see the treasures hidden in Your children, for they aren't my diamonds, are they?

Loving You, Lord.

Carmen